Delete Genius Pro Browser-Hijacker in Easy Way
Genius Pro is a typical browser-hijacker that secretly takes control over the infected browser and causes unsafe redirections. When you examine an infected browser, you would notice some unusual plug-ins and add-ons which were not installed by you. For a novice user, it is very difficult to suspect its presence until and unless this malware starts its perilous activities continuously.
The pop-ups and notifications triggered by Genius Pro don’t looks harmful in first glance. However, when you interact with them by clicking on such ads, harmful additional webpage opens in the new tab. They could be related to porn content, webpage with bogus claims and offers, or some kind of Online survey form that asks your personal questions such as name, bank account details System OS configuration and so on. Genius Pro triggers such ads regularly. For users, it is almost impossible to avoid because they cover a large portion of the screen and they don’t have any close icon.
The uses clicks on these kinds of webpage redirect virus pop-ups accidentally. When the ads are clicked, the associated cyber-criminals get commission in return for boosting the traffic of third-party websites. In order to get maximum benefits, they triggers ads regularly and thus it becomes impossible to perform the Online activities.
Genius Pro Collects Personal Data
As mentioned earlier, one of the prime tasks of browser-hijacker is to spy on the users activities. They secretly install doubtful plug-ins, add-ons and cookies in the browser to record the online activities of users. The website you visit, the apps you download, your Online shopping pattern etc. are recorded. This helps the cyber-criminals to trigger customized ads and pop-ups and thus the novice users easily get enticed to click on them.
One step further, they download key-loggers in the PC so that every keys pressed by you gets recorded. This means that the sensitive data such as bank account details, username and password of websites etc. also gets recorded. The cyber-offenders misuse these data. There is a high risk for you that you may get huge financial losses.
Possible Ways of Genius Pro Attack:
The adware like Genius Pro primarily gets downloaded through internet. PC users who visit untrusted websites specially related to porn, Online dating, gambling etc. are most likely to download suspicious files and entries accidentally. These websites have pop-ups and you are asked to click on them. When you click on “OK”, additional suspicious files get downloaded in the backdoor.
Downloading freeware and no-cost application from untrusted and shared network is very risky. Most of the free third-party applications over internet are unsafe. It is very common that when you download such free apps, additional hidden files gets downloaded in the backdoor. You are tricked to choose basic or default installation method which don’t reveals the hidden attachments. Novice users are mostly in a hurry to complete the download process and thus simply click on next-next button without reading what is displayed on the screen. This is very risky because you can accidentally allow one program to download other hidden files that could be a malware. Further, they could get permission to make changes in the important registries and system files.
Some Tips and Precautionary Measures to Protect PC from Genius Pro Attack
Instead of searching for the solution to remove Genius Pro, it is always better that the PC doesn’t get infected with this kind of adware. For that you have to follow some basic precautionary measures that have been discussed below.
- Get your OS and browser updated. Get a regular security patches from the developers. This way you will get the patches for the known vulnerabilities and hence there is a minimum chance of malware attack.
- In the browser settings, enable pop-up block. You can also use any third-party ad-blocker.
- Be very careful while your Online browsing session. Don’t click on random ads and pop-ups. The doubtful links promoted through comments, forums, as well as messenger could be avoided.
- Download any kind of software only form the trusted sources. Additionally, always select advance or custom installation option so that you can see the hidden files if any.
- The last and probably the most important step is to use a powerful anti-malware tool. In addition to malware protection, It should be effective to detect and delete the malware that are present in the work-station.
Antimalware Details And User Guide
Important Note: This malware asks you to enable the web browser notifications. So, before you go the manual removal process, execute these steps.
Google Chrome (PC)
- Go to right upper corner of the screen and click on three dots to open the Menu button
- Select “Settings”. Scroll the mouse downward to choose “Advanced” option
- Go to “Privacy and Security” section by scrolling downward and then select “Content settings” and then “Notification” option
- Find each suspicious URLs and click on three dots on the right side and choose “Block” or “Remove” option
Google Chrome (Android)
- Go to right upper corner of the screen and click on three dots to open the menu button and then click on “Settings”
- Scroll down further to click on “site settings” and then press on “notifications” option
- In the newly opened window, choose each suspicious URLs one by one
- In the permission section, select “notification” and “Off” the toggle button
- On the right corner of the screen, you will notice three dots which is the “Menu” button
- Select “Options” and choose “Privacy and Security” in the toolbar present in the left side of the screen
- Slowly scroll down and go to “Permission” section then choose “Settings” option next to “Notifications”
- In the newly opened window, select all the suspicious URLs. Click on the drop-down menu and select “Block”
- In the Internet Explorer window, select the Gear button present on the right corner
- Choose “Internet Options”
- Select “Privacy” tab and then “Settings” under the “Pop-up Blocker” section
- Select all the suspicious URLs one by one and click on the “Remove” option
- Open the Microsoft Edge and click on the three dots on the right corner of the screen to open the menu
- Scroll down and select “Settings”
- Scroll down further to choose “view advanced settings”
- In the “Website Permission” option, click on “Manage” option
- Click on switch under every suspicious URL
- On the upper right side corner, click on “Safari” and then select “Preferences”
- Go to “website” tab and then choose “Notification” section on the left pane
- Search for the suspicious URLs and choose “Deny” option for each one of them
Manual Steps to Remove Genius Pro:
Remove the related items of Genius Pro using Control-Panel
Windows 7 Users
Click “Start” (the windows logo at the bottom left corner of the desktop screen), select “Control Panel”. Locate the “Programs” and then followed by clicking on “Uninstall Program”
Windows XP Users
Click “Start” and then choose “Settings” and then click “Control Panel”. Search and click on “Add or Remove Program’ option
Windows 10 and 8 Users:
Go to the lower left corner of the screen and right-click. In the “Quick Access” menu, choose “Control Panel”. In the newly opened window, choose “Program and Features”
Mac OSX Users
Click on “Finder” option. Choose “Application” in the newly opened screen. In the “Application” folder, drag the app to “Trash”. Right click on the Trash icon and then click on “Empty Trash”.
In the uninstall programs window, search for the PUAs. Choose all the unwanted and suspicious entries and click on “Uninstall” or “Remove”.
After you uninstall all the potentially unwanted program causing Genius Pro issues, scan your computer with an anti-malware tool for any remaining PUPs and PUAs or possible malware infection. To scan the PC, use the recommended the anti-malware tool.
How to Remove Adware (Genius Pro) from Internet Browsers
Delete malicious add-ons and extensions from IE
Click on the gear icon at the top right corner of Internet Explorer. Select “Manage Add-ons”. Search for any recently installed plug-ins or add-ons and click on “Remove”.
If you still face issues related to Genius Pro removal, you can reset the Internet Explorer to its default setting.
Windows XP users: Press on “Start” and click “Run”. In the newly opened window, type “inetcpl.cpl” and click on the “Advanced” tab and then press on “Reset”.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 Users: Press the Windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the start search box and press enter. In the newly opened window, click on the “Advanced Tab” followed by “Reset” button.
For Windows 8 Users: Open IE and click on the “gear” icon. Choose “Internet Options”
Select the “Advanced” tab in the newly opened window
Press on “Reset” option
You have to press on the “Reset” button again to confirm that you really want to reset the IE
Remove Doubtful and Harmful Extension from Google Chrome
Go to menu of Google Chrome by pressing on three vertical dots and select on “More tools” and then “Extensions”. You can search for all the recently installed add-ons and remove all of them.
If the problems related to Genius Pro still persists or you face any issue in removing, then it is advised that your reset the Google Chrome browse settings. Go to three dotted points at the top right corner and choose “Settings”. Scroll down bottom and click on “Advanced”.
At the bottom, notice the “Reset” option and click on it.
In the next opened window, confirm that you want to reset the Google Chrome settings by click on the “Reset” button.
Remove Genius Pro plugins (including all other doubtful plug-ins) from Firefox Mozilla
Open the Firefox menu and select “Add-ons”. Click “Extensions”. Select all the recently installed browser plug-ins.
If you face problems in Genius Pro removal then you have the option to rese the settings of Mozilla Firefox.
Open the browser (Mozilla Firefox) and click on the “menu” and then click on “Help”.
Choose “Troubleshooting Information”
In the newly opened pop-up window, click “Refresh Firefox” button
The next step is to confirm that really want to reset the Mozilla Firefox settings to its default by clicking on “Refresh Firefox” button.
Remove Malicious Extension from Safari
Open the Safari and go to its “Menu” and select “Preferences”.
Click on the “Extension” and select all the recently installed “Extensions” and then click on “Uninstall”.
Open the “Safari” and go menu. In the drop-down menu, choose “Clear History and Website Data”.
In the newly opened window, select “All History” and then press on “Clear History” option.
Delete Genius Pro (malicious add-ons) from Microsoft Edge
Open Microsoft Edge and go to three horizontal dot icons at the top right corner of the browser. Select all the recently installed extensions and right click on the mouse to “uninstall”
Open the browser (Microsoft Edge) and select “Settings”
Next steps is to click on “Choose what to clear” button
Click on “show more” and then select everything and then press on “Clear” button.
In most cases, the PUPs and adware gets inside the marked PC through unsafe freeware downloads. It is advised that you should only choose developers website only while downloading any kind of free applications. Choose custom or advanced installation process so that you can trace the additional PUPs listed for installation along with the main program.